A German Half-Hull Wood Ships Model of The Full-Rigged Ship "Phos"
A fine large wood half-hull ships model of the three masted full-rigged ship “Phos” built in 1893 by ships builder Stettiner Maschinerbauanstalt & Shiffsbauwerft A-G, previously Moeller & Holberg, in Grabow. Late 19th century.
With an engraved metal plaque with the text : Vollschiff Phos. Rhederei Eugen Collet Christiania, Erbaut im Jahre 1893 von der Stettiner Maschinenbauanstalt & Shiffsbauwerft A-G, vorm. Moeller & Holberg, Grabow a/O.
These ships consisted of three, four, or even five masted ships and each of the masts carried square sails. The full rigging meant that these ships required a large crew, but in the late 19th century the full-rigged ships underwent a vigorous development to reduce the number of people on board.
The hulls, masts and yards were all made of iron or steel and sail handling was simplified. This meant that the sail area could be easily adjusted for various wind forces and were best suited for following winds. They were mostly used for intercontinental voyages in trade winds and monsoons.
Dimensions: Length 193.0 cm (76.0 inches) x Height 53.0 cm (20.9 inches) x Depth 14.0 cm (5.5 inches)
Price: 24 000 SEK (/)
Contact us if you are interested in this object
- +46 8 661 20 00